You can follow Ben on Twitter at @benmerrion1
Archive for February, 2010
I really wanted to thank everyone for helping out with lunch on the day of the camp. When I volunteered to organize food, I thought that was going to be easy. Just get a caterer, get space (reserving the West End library was simple), and there you go.
We had to be out of the library at 2pm and I realized at the last minute that leaving the GW campus at 12:45 as stated on the schedule wasn’t going to work. There was no way we could start serving about 100 people at 1pm and be out by that time.
Except we did.
And I really wanted to thank everyone at the camp, but things were a little nuts, so I didn’t get a chance to. But I wanted to thank you now.
How Social Justice Campers Were Awesome:
1) When I told people about our time constraints with the library, campers embraced the idea of altering the schedule to include a lunch session.
2) When I realized that we would need people to help navigate campers through the maze that is West End, we had 6 people step up.
3) And not only did we have 2 servers come forward, but when I stepped away from serving to keep the flow going, another person took my place.
4) When I did direct traffic – forming lines around the meat, no meat and vegan portions, people were cool with me pulling them to the right line. (At least they didn’t complain :))
5) People stepped up to unfold chairs and get more when we needed them.
Because of this, everyone had food by 1pm!
6) People were cool with only having 30 minutes to be in their session instead of the alloted 45.
7) Everyone started to leave at 1:30.
8) Many people helped out with folding up the chairs and putting them back as well as clean-up.
Because of this, we were out of the library by 1:45!
So, you all rock! We did the impossible. It just shows how much we can do when we do it together. That’s what this is all about!
Social Justice Camp DC Organizer